Thanksgiving is just a couple days away so I thought I would share a little something with you all. If you don’t know already you should know that I make some of the most awesome sweet potatoes ever. If you usually are opposed to sweet potatoes I can almost guarantee that you will love mine. So I decided I would share my “recipe” with you so you can spread the goodness around. Now I am going to warn you here I put recipe in quotations back there because I have never worked from a written recipe I usually just throw everything together and then keep adding more till it tastes right. So with this it is best not to be a rigid recipe follower. Ok, now that the warning is out of the way lets get started.
3-4 sweet potatoes (I prefer white sweet potatoes but it doesn’t really matter which you get
½ cup milk
½ cup(1 stick) sliced butter
¾ cup brown sugar
1-2 tsp vanilla (I love vanilla so I always twice as much as I should)
1-2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans or cashews
About ½ a bag of marshmallows (These are optional but super awesome)
And here we go…
- Cut off the end bits and discard. Chop up sweet potatoes (don’t peel) so they fit in a large pot.
-Cover potatoes with water and boil until they are soft. You should be able to easily slide a fork in the middle if they are done.
- Drain water and set potatoes aside to cool
-Once the sweet potatoes are cool enough to touch you can go ahead and pull the skin off. It should easily pull off.
- In a large mixing bowl mash the sweet potatoes adding the eggs milk and butter.
- Add brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix until potatoes are smooth.
At this point you should take a little taste and see what you think. I usually add a little more sugar, cinnamon and vanilla I like my sweet potatoes to taste like candy.
- Once you are good with the flavor transfer your sweet potatoes into a 13 x 9 buttered baking dish. Smooth them out and sprinkle top with brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped nuts.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for about 35 minutes at 350 (I usually just throw them in with the turkey so the temp doesn’t need to be exact)
- After about 35 minutes remove foil and bake another 15 minutes
At this point you could be done it you want or you could go super crazy and the marshmallows. If you are super crazy like me cover the top of the potatoes with marshmallows and put them back in the oven until they are lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
Now you are done and it is time to enjoy your super yummy sweet potatoes.
My brother in-law describes these as a delicious, cinnamony, vanillay sweet potato pudding