Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I am going to admit the sad truth here. I am just not that into photography. Or maybe I should rephrase that and say that I just don't totally understand photography as much as other do. Don't get me wrong I enjoy and pretty picture or a well taken photograph but the honest truth is...I don't always get "it".
My room mate on the other hand loves photography. He works in a camera shop, has a whole army of new and vintage cameras and even has a tattoo of a holga. He loves photography like a love sewing.
A while back he was teaching a Holga class and as a way and a reason to get out of the house on a rainy Saturday I decided to take this class. I won't say that this class opened up my eyes and showed me the true magic of photography. No, that didn't really happen at all but I did learn the basics in operating a holga camera.
I have used the camera only a few times and only used up 2 rolls of film so far but I love the pictures I have taken with it. My roommate very kindly developed and scanned my last roll for me and I sort of fell in love with the images on it. I don't know that they would really be considered art but they have a lot of meaning for me because of their content.
These pictures were taken July 27, 2009. That date marked 5 months since the accident that took my older son from us. On this day we decided to take Miles and weed and water the tree that was planted in Zachary's memory at his school and I let Miles roam around his big brother's kindergarten play yard. It is so hard to do things with Miles that we did with Zach when he was this age but at the same time it seems so important. It is one of the few ways we can make sure that even though he isn't here Zachary is still part of Miles' life. So, I love these pictures because I feel in some way we brought our boys together that day.


1 comment:

Kathy said...

Miles is so beautiful! My heart is broken for you and yet Im so happy for you too. You are so wise.