Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hey, I made a dress.

A couple of years ago I was somehow inspired to make myself a dress. So I went to the fabric store and pick out a simple pattern and gathered up some vintage fabrics that I thought looked strangely nice together. I ever went as far as to cut out all the pieces. Then I folded them up and put them in a Ross bag and hid them under my sewing table to be forgotten about.
Recently I was digging around looking for some fabric and I unearthed this nearly forgotten unsewen dress. I thought it might be nice to actually make it so I pulled it out and put it on top of my sewing table where it would yell at me every time I looked in it's direction.

Eventually I took the pieces out of the bag. I had to cut it down a couple sizes (I have thankfully lost weight) and re-notch it and 2 days ago I actually sewed it. I was having a bad day and I wanted to make something that was just for me. So, I made myself a dress.
I had some trouble with it. For some reason the directions didn't tell me how to sew the front waist band and skirt together. Luckily I went to school for this and I was able to figure it out. Maybe that degree in fashion design is worth something after all?
Overall I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I wasn't sure how I would like the fabrics together in something as large as a dress but I kinda of love the together. The only think I don't like is the width of the waist band. I think it would look better if it were a little more narrow. That could just be me and my wonky seam allowances though.

Now I just need to commit to a length and sew up the hem. That may take a couple more years though.

7 comments:

Amy said...

You did a wonderful job with the dress!! I'm trying to get myself motivated to make some summer tops but can't seem to get enough energy right now. Hopefully soon!

Amber Von Felts said...

Its BEAUTIFUL! I really like the fabrics together, very summery...I'm having Blue Moon flashbacks, it looks like something in there!

andrea creates said...

Looks great! I wish I were better at sewing clothes :)

Kathy said...

It is so perfect and vintage yet classic and perfect!!

Part of me cannot believe that you actually made that...but then I know that you can. You are the same little girl that I asked to be in my wedding and then I told to pick out and make your own dress. You did AND you ironed all of our clothes because I didn't know how. You have always been AMAZING.

Tia Colleen said...

Look at you, lady! It looks great. I want to see a picture of you wearing it! ...and I mean that in the totally least creepy way possible?

xoDanielle said...

Ooo pretty pretty! skills :)

Angela said...

I love it! I have shelled out quite a pretty penny for dresses in those styles! May I ask if you used a specific pattern? I would love to try it out!